Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ode to Purple

The following is an email I sent to my very good friend Sarah White. I am in the midst of finding....drum roll....eyeshadow colors. I know, exciting, huh? Anything to do with color gets me involved I guess. And it's more all about the color purple than anything. So....


"I exchanged the brown for purple and tada! It's perfect. I always am drawn towards desaturated cooler colors but I'm "supposed" to wear browns and neutrals because I have "warm medium skin" and "blue eyes". So I choose wrong colors. I don't get that rule at all though. If someone has brown skin, they should wear brown makeup? It won't exactly show up. and if someone has white skin, should they wear white? The only reason the purple even shows up on my skin is because it is not any shade of tan or cream or beige. And once it's on my skin, it actually looks a lot less purple, because the warm undertones in my skin neutralize it some more. Also, I've noticed I seem to really like grey lately. Coal greys and dolphin greys as well. Next color: grey. Probably will look very warm by the time it gets on my eye lids.

Sigh. Why can't someone show me this stuff?

I think I'm going to do a whole post on the color purple because it's so beautiful. In art class, we read one of the famous artists who said, "There is absolutely no use at all for the color purple." (There is no use for the note B flat). And one of my graphic design professor really couldn't stand the color and almost wouldn't let us use it. I think I'll go for a grey and purple wardrobe, with taupes thrown in."


Below: tan eye and then purple-taupe eyes










Sarah, can I add your reply to this?


Other taupe and grey things - (as you can see, I am wearing a grey shirt in celebration of finding the perfect eyeshadow color. So I wanted to throw in a collection of taupe and grey fashion inspiration. The two shirts are from J Crew - my new fashion inspiration. Mind you I could never actually buy anything from J Crew - but I can get ideas and shop thrift stores and ebay! :)














No comments:

Post a Comment